Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

ADAA : Frequently Asked Questions

Welcome to the ADAA FAQ web page!

Listed below are several questions that are frequently posed to the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Administration.

How do I obtain information about certification and licensing for substance abuse professionals?

Certification and licensing is done by the Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists. The Board's Web site is located at:

Contact information for the Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists is:
4201 Patterson Ave.
Baltimore, MD. 21215
(410) 764-4732
(410) 358-1610 Fax

I am in need of alcohol and/or drug abuse treatment services for myself or my family. How do I find a program?

The Alcohol and Drug Abuse Administration maintains a resource directory with the name, address, phone number and services offered for all DHMH certified programs operating in Maryland. These programs are listed by county on this website (Resource Directory) or for more specific information you can call the Community Services Division at 410-402-8600.

Is treatment available for pregnant women and women with children ?

Since 1990, the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Administration has required publicly funded programs to give pregnant women priority for admission to treatment. For treatment options for women see ADAA's Resource Directory listing and search under "populations" for services for women and/or services for women and children. If you have a specific need for this population that is not addressed in the Resource Directory contact ADAA at 410-402-8600 and request assistance from your regional Technical Services Manager.

Where can I get information about specialized addiction training and/or seminars, and courses for on going CEU's?

ADAA's Office of Education and Training for Addiction Services (OETAS) offers both. Click here to learn about upcoming trainings and other OETAS events, or contact OETAS at 410-402-8585 to discuss how to meet your specialized training needs.

I am looking for information about alcohol and drug abuse for a paper I am writing for school. Can you tell me where I can find the most recent resources, pamphlets or brochures on the topic?

Treatment and Prevention Coordinators in your local jurisdiction maintain addiction, prevention and treatment literature resources. The ADAA Web site has a publications page that has a variety of agency reports, research, newsletters, and other relevant information.

You might also try:

Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) ONDCP provides information, resources, and links to many public policy and academic research centers concerned with alcohol and drug abuse.

National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information (NCADI) NACADI provides publications, resources, referrals, research and statistics, searchable databases, serves as a gateway to the Centers for Substance Abuse Treatment (CSAT) and Prevention (CSAP), and many other governmental agencies concerned with substance abuse. Publications may be ordered directly from NCADI through their online catalog.

I am currently providing substance abuse counseling and would like to become a DHMH Certified Program. How do I go about this process?

The Alcohol and Drug Abuse Administration (ADAA) welcomes and encourages the establishment of professional alcohol and drug abuse treatment services and facilities in the State of Maryland. The Department Of Health And Mental Hygiene (DHMH) conducts all licensing and certification activities through the Office of Health Care Quality (OHCQ) .

Office of Health Care Quality
Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
Spring Grove Hospital Center
Bland Bryant Building
55 Wade Avenue
Catonsville, Maryland 21228
Phone Number: (410) 402-8000
Toll-free: 1(877)-402-8218

Separate license and certification is required for each level of care in the alcohol and drug abuse treatment continuum, and each location in which the treatment is to be provided. When requesting certification information of the OHCQ, please state the level of care you plan to have certified as there is a separate application package for each level of care or modality. The OHCQ will mail the complete package to you. This will contain the state and federal regulations as well as additional agencies to contact when necessary. It provides all of the information required to become a licensed and certified alcohol and drug abuse treatment provider in the State of Maryland in accordance with Health-General Article § 8-404, Annotated Code of Maryland. In the case of programs treating heroin and other narcotic addictions using pharmacotherapy, additional licensing is required by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and the State Office of Drug Control. The agency's requirements are included in the OHCQ information.

Alcohol and drug abuse treatment services shall only be provided by the following:

  1. Substance abuse treatment programs that are certified by the Department in accordance with Health-General Article § 8-404, Annotated Code of Maryland.
  2. Practitioners appropriately licensed, certified, or otherwise legally authorized under Health Occupations Article, Annotated Code of Maryland:
  • for whom substance abuse treatment services fall within the practitioner's scope of practice, and
    who do not advertise their practice as an alcohol and drug abuse treatment program;
  • and Entities exempted from certification requirements in accordance with Health-General Article, §8-403(d), Annotated Code of Maryland.

I want to be prescribed Suboxone to detox off of heroin.... (or oxycontin, or other opiates). How do I find a doctor who can prescribe Suboxone (which contains the medication called buprenorphine)? What if I don't have any insurance?

  1. You can find a doctor at the Buprenorphine Physician Locator on the ADAA website at /drsearch/.

 2. If you do not have insurance,contact the Addiction Coordinator for your county between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PMto learn about treatment options available to you.Please note that Baltimore City has a separate program called BSAS (Baltimore Substance Abuse Systems, Inc.),the telephone number is (410) 637-1900. If you have a medical emergency related to substance detox or withdrawal contact your nearest hospital emergency room for assistance.

What should I do with my unused prescriptions inthe medicine cabinet, especially ones that can be addictive?

A: The ADAA, the DEA andyour local drug andalcoholagencies are very concerned about the diversion of pain medications and other potentially addictive medications that may be in your medicine cabinet. We are seeing an increase of young people who are abusing these pain medications, such as Oxycontin and Vicodin, and obtaining them from family medicine cabinets or purchasing them illegally on the street.Here's what you can do:

  1. Ask your local pharmacy ifit will take it off your hands.
  2. If the pharmacycannot dispose it for you, here are the recommendations from the Office of National Drug Control Policy on "The Proper Disposal of Prescription Drugs."We have also providedthe document for yourdownloading.
    • Take unused, unneeded, or expired prescription drugs out of their original containers and throw them in the trash.
    • Mixing prescription drugs with an undesirable substance, such as used coffee grounds or kitty litter, and putting them in impermeable, non-descript containers, such as empty cans or sealable bags, will further ensure the drugs are not diverted.
    • Flush prescription drugs down the toilet only if the label or accompanying patient information specifically instructs doing so.

    3. You can go to this website to learn more about the problem and what to do:  FDA - Disposal by Flushing of Certain Unused Medicines: What You Should Know


    This list from FDA tells you what unused or expired medicines you should flush down the sink or toilet to help prevent danger to people and pets in the home. Flushing these medicines will get rid of them right away and help keep your familyand pets safe. FDA continually evaluates medicines for safety risks and will update the list as needed.


    Medicine​ ​Active Ingredient
    Actiq, oral transmucosal lozenge*
    ​Fentanyl Citrate
    Avinza, capsules (extended release) ​Morphine Sulfate
    Daytrana, transdermal patch system​ ​Methylphenidate
    ​Demerol, tablets* ​Meperidine Hydrochloride
    ​Demerol, oral solution* ​Meperidine Hydrochloride
    ​Diastat/Diastat AcuDial, rectal gel ​Diazepam
    Dilaudid, tablets*​ ​Hydromorphone Hydrochloride
    Dilaudid, oral liquid*​ ​Hydromorphone Hydrochloride
    Dolophine Hydrocholoride, tablets* ​Methadone Hydrochloride
    Duragesic, patch (extended release) ​Fentanyl
    Embeda, capsules (extendedd release) ​Morphine Sulfate; Naltrexone Hydrochloride
    ​Exalgo, tablets (extended release) ​Hydromorphone Hydrochloride
    Fentora, tablets (buccal) ​Fentanyl Citrate
    ​Kadian, capsules (extended release) ​Morphine Sulfate
    ​Methadone Hydrochloride, oral solution* ​Methadone Hydrochloride
    Methadoes, tablets*​ ​Merthadone Hydrochloride
    Morphine Sulfate, tablets (immediate release)*​ ​Morphine Sulfate
    ​Morphine Sulfate, oral solution* ​Morphine Sulfate
    ​MS Contin, tablets (extended release)* ​Morphine Sulfate
    Onsolis, soluble film (buccal)​ ​Fentanyl Citrate
    ​Opana, tablets (immediate release) ​Oxymorphone Hydrochloride
    ​Opana ER, tablets (extended release) ​Oxymorphone Hydrochloride
    ​Oramorph SR, tablets (sustained release) ​Morphine Sulfate
    ​Oxycontin, tablets (extended release)* ​Oxycodone Hydrochloride
    Percocet, tablets*​ ​Acetaminophen; Oxycodone Hydrochloride
    Percodan, tablets*​ ​Aspirin; Oxycodone Hydrochloride
    ​Xyrem, oral solution ​Sodium Oxybate

     *These medicines have generic versions available or are only available in generic formulations.  List revised: March 2010

    Proper Disposal of Prescription Drugs